The role of the Medical Social Worker is to assist patients and families resolve any social, practical or emotional difficulties that impact on their ability to cope with their illness. Social Workers work in both adult and child health services.
Medical Social Workers facilitate discharge and liaise with members of community services, both statutory and voluntary, to arrange services for patients. The Medical Social Worker provides a safe, confidential and supportive service.
The Social Work Department also offers:
- Counselling and support for those who have experienced trauma, abuse and other crises in their lives.
- Support in coping with chronic illness and planning for the future.
- Bereavement support and counselling. Information on practical matters and entitlements.
- Information on a range of organisations and community services, both locally and nationally
- Referral to specialised sources of care in the community.